Old 21-03-2006, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Arman wrote in
:

i strongly suspect doggy boredom, so try taking care of
that first. if the plant pots are not very accessable to
the child, you might try a solar powered electric fence
around them. my son knew all about electric fences at 2,
so if you can explain not touching the wires, your child
should be ok. oh, you could possibly use an invisble fence
to keep the dogs out too... i just use electric fence for
my dogs because thier play area is fed off my pasture
fencing.

thank you for the suggestion. my skin kid is now 1.5 yrs
old and my fur kids are now 4 yrs old, so i guess the
mothballs are out. where did u get ur fence? how much did
it cost to get it installed?

we installed our own fencing... we have electric fencing for
our livestock pasture, so we just put in temporary fence poles
(used for dividing pasture usually) & strung electric fence
wire at 1', 2' & 4' (my dogs are big). then we ran a wire from
the pasture fence to the dog fence to charge it.
basic livestock fencing isn't too expensive. the chargers are
the most expensive part (unless you get rolls of portable
fence. that stuff is expensive!). chargers here costs around
US$80-100, for under 5 miles.
i think you might want to look for a local 'invisible fence'
supplier. they install a radio fence line below ground & the
dogs wear a collar with a transponder. if they get too close
to the buried line, they get a shock. the advantage to that
over electric fence is the child won't accidentally get
shocked by touching the fence.
lee
--
war is peace