Old 21-03-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Best time to plant Red Sunset Maple?

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:11:07 -0600
wrote:

I'm in north Missouri.... not sure of the zone

My sister wants to have a Red Sunset Maple planted in
honor of my mother who died many years ago

I'm thinking it best to plant it next fall.... not now

Is this correct?

If yes.... why?

I think you are probably referring to Acer rubrum 'Red Sunset.'
This is a very fine cultivar with large leaves (i.e. vigorous) and
excellent autumn color that grows to a large size. Note that
the true 'Red Sunset' is trademarked.

It prefers moist conditions and acid soil. Seems to me it
might be getting a little late in Missouri to plant. If there has
been any leaf burst it is too late, unless you buy container
grown and are prepared to water all summer. Under any
circumstances, a maple planted in the fall will have a chance to
get its roots established for the coming season. Since A. rubrum
needs a lot of moisture this is especially important.

I'd wait.

Nice choice, though. Just make sure you really want that big a tree
in the spot, as it could make 20 m when mature.

HTH

-E
--
Emery Davis