Old 21-03-2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

Default Another bee/wasp question

In article ,
says...
We have a wasp/yellowjacket hive in the ground next to our deck. Not sure
which category the bugs fall into wasp or yellowjacket or what. They are
really aggressive and consider our deck as getting too close to the hive.
After two years of not being able to use the deck, I think its time to get
rid of them.

Probably need to wait and make sure they are even there before you do
anything. Unless you are in an area that does not freeze, yellow jackets
nests will die out each year. An area that was attractive to one queen
to set up a nest can be attractive to another queen the next year and
will nest near the same area, but I haven't seen that too often. At the
first hint of Spring like weather you might put out some YJ traps baited
with frozen apple juice concentrate...they will be looking for Sugar
with they first become active and you might be able to reduce the number
of queens that may be a bother later in the Summer. If you find a
ground nest, you can reduce the numbers with screen and making a "minnow
trap" apparatus. Make three, as one fills up, replace it with an empty
one, the nest will die out.
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

to email....get rid of the BUGS