Old 22-03-2006, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Randy

Default Christmas Cactus

On 2006-03-19 19:56:50 -0500, enigma said:

MK wrote in
:
You say you keep them outside in the summer and you live in
zone 9. Do you put them in full sun? I live in zone 7 so
I'm wondering where they'd do well. Thanks for any help.
Mine have not bloomed in 2 years.
i'm in zone 5b/6 & put mine out for the summer as soon as it's
reliably above 50*F at night. i harden them off in dappled shade & then
move them to full sun (don't go directly from indoors to full sun or
they sunburn something awful). i leave them out until September. mine
usually start blooming by Halloween & bloom heavily through Christmas,
then again in the spring. they sometimes bloom lightly outside, too.

indoors they're under lights or in south or west facing windows.
lee

I put mine under a roofed back patio in bright light but no direct sun.
I leave them out until the fall, until the temps get close to freezing.
By then they have set flower buds. Then I bring them in.

Tom