Old 22-03-2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Default Another bee/wasp question

"Adelle" wrote in
:

Hi!

We have a wasp/yellowjacket hive in the ground next to our
deck. Not sure which category the bugs fall into wasp
or yellowjacket or what. They are really aggressive and
consider our deck as getting too close to the hive. After
two years of not being able to use the deck, I think its
time to get rid of them.

they'd be yellowjackets, but they don't winter over. if
you've had a nest there for 2 years, it's just because it's a
great place to nest.

I hate to use insecticides, but feel that's the only choice
I've got.

why? boiling water works. a skunk works even better, &
they're a whole lot cuter than an insecticide can
(seriously, we have a bachelor skunk that lives under our barn
& eats catfood with the barn cats. he's been there for 5 years
& we have never had a spray incident. he eats 5-7 ground wasp
nests every year, actually he probably eats even more but
those would be ones i've found)

Which pesticide, and how do I do treat the nest? We are
zone 5 (Massachusetts) and the ground is currently still
frozen.

as soon as the ground thaws, go dig up last years nest. it's
dead.
keep the area cultivated & the wasps won't return (or you'll
be able to destroy the nests before they get a foothold).
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery