Old 22-03-2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ima Googler

Default How do I keep my new holly bushes from getting "leggy" at the bottom?

I'm getting ready to plant about 15 holly bushes along my fence row and
I've been checking out bushes in the neighborhood to get ideas about
what type I want to get. I've noticed that some of the hollies stay
nice and thick at the bottom with no gap and you can't see their trunks
because of the nice growth close to the ground. Others I see are thick
with growth once they get about 6" off the ground and they are bare
around the bottom of the trunk.

Does anyone know how to keep the growth thick all the way to the ground
so that you can't see the trunk? I really prefer the way they look when
the leaves are flush with the ground.

Thanks!