Old 13-03-2003, 02:09 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] propogating beech/birch from seed

Sounds like a Birch to me but could possibly be Beech. The seed makes it
easy to tell apart though. Birches have papery conelets that self
destruct and distribute tiny papery seeds. Beech have a nut within a
hard shell that is usually covered in spikes.

Propagation is also different. Birch seed is light sensitive and needs
surface sowing.

The forest planting is likely to be a long term project though, as
seedlings take many years to develop any white bark.

Good luck

Kev Bailey