Old 13-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] propogating beech/birch from seed

I am not sure what kind of tree my neighbor has and neither is
she really. It is a white barked tree with serrated leaves like a
hormbeam but in the fall it has little cone like seed pots that
cover everything within 50 feet of the tree with seed. I have
lived in this house for 11 years now and in that entire time I
have only seen one seedling pop up out of all those seeds. I have
laid out beds of soil and let the seeds fall into it for the
winter and nothing has come up. I have collected some and cold
stratified them in the fridge and nothing has come up. I could
love to get some of them to sprout to make a forest planting out
of these trees but I can't get any to start. Any ideas?
=====================

Take a branch with several leaves on it to your county
agricultural extension agent, county forester (if you have one),
local nursery (a good one, hot HD-type) and get an ID from an
expert, or get a good USA tree ID book (Peterson's or Audubon)
and compare the leaves yourself. We can't tell you anything
until you know what you have.

If the bark is white and does not peel off in strips, it is NOT a
birch. It could be one of any number of beech-type trees. If it
IS a beech (at least American beech, F. grandifolia), and
assuming you're in your 20s now, you will be 65 before its of a
decent bonsai-able size, even assuming you planted it in the
ground than did ALL of the right things to it.

However, if you're going to play this sport, you really NEED to
become at least a little knowledgeable about the trees (and
shrubs) that grow in your area.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --