Old 21-03-2006, 09:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
Arman wrote:

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them
but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots and
20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would
love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and
unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer
perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering
plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist
peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.

I feel your pain...
I got a new six pound little yorkie for Christmas. This cute yorkie in
three months, has dumped two house plants and scattered them all over
the living room carpet. Chewed the bark off some of my outside rose
bushes.

I have tried to doggie proof my home by putting the plants on higher
tables, making it difficult for this little yorkie (half dog, half cat
and half fox) to be so destructive.

my comments are not aimed at you, but rather at the dog haters so please
don't take offence. You talk about dog proofing your house. That to me seems
a sensible option as a dog owner until the mutt learns the house rules.

Is this not something we do as parents, child proof our house? Do we style
our environment to safe guard it (and our possessions) from small children
roaming or do we simply say 'Johnny is a naughty little shit because he will
**** his pants, crap in the corner, get into the cupboards and maybe swallow
some poison' and turn into a kid hater.

rob