Old 13-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Smythefarm

Default Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes?

I live in Delray Beach, Florida - zone 10. I usually get 2 crops of Jerusalem
artichokes per year. They are sneaky little buggers - plant them in an out of
the way location. I planted then around the perimeter of my raised vegetable
beds. They grew around 1 foot taller than my 8' tall trellis and invaded my
vegetable bed. But my vegetable bed gets reworked every year so it wasn't too
much of a problem - it would have been a pain in the a** if they had invaded my
herb bed which is mostly filled with perennials.

I've made pickles out of them (just scrub clean, cut into small pieces and
store in flavored vinegar). I've also cooked them like mashed potatoes. So far
I'm the only one in my family that likes them. But I have gotten my husband to
eat edible flowers in salads so I'll keep trying.

Lynn Smythe
coming soon: www.butterflygypsy.com