Old 22-03-2006, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

Default Shredding for path chips

In message , Janet Galpin
wrote
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

"Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hardly dare ask another question about shredders . . . but here goes:

I want to produce chips to make paths with, compost-making is
secondary.
Which sort of shredder does that best: spinning-blade type or "silent"
cog-wheel type?
Thanks

Absoluteley no contest--cog-wheel type-Have a look at Bosch.

As the owner of a highly efficient heavy-duty spinning-blade shredder
with which I am very happy, I would be interested to know the reasons
for your very strong opinion.

I've owned both types.

I found the spinning blade shredder hard work in that I had to push the
garden waste in and it continually clogged up.

I now have a Bosch worm drive type which is excellent - it's the type I
would recommend.. After advice obtained on the UK DIY newsgroup I
selected the Bosch AXT 2000 (not to be confused with the lesser shredder
with a similar number - ATX200).

I purchased a 'graded model' from an Ebay trader

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GARDEN-AND-LEISURE

for £144 inc postage. It arrived within a few days of placing the
order.

The auction price of this item doesn't seem to rise above the opening
offer price - unless everyone in this group suddenly starts bidding for
the same item. They seem to put on one or two AXT2000 shredders each
day.

I have no connection with the above company apart from being a satisfied
customer. Details of the same shredder they still sell are at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSCH-AXT2000-...EN-SHREDDER-GR
ADED_W0QQitemZ7752816609QQcategoryZ42228QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

A graded model is a nearly new returned to the retailer but refurbished
by Bosch/Qualcast and with a full manufacturer's 12 month Return To Base
(RTB) warranty.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com