Old 22-03-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default non flowering orchid

Sorry, confused Cymbidium and Oncidium culture sheets. Here are corrected
ones:
http://www.orchidweb.com/onccare.htm and
http://www.aos.org/aos/uploadedfiles...edoncidium.pdf
Best,
Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Mhari,

What is the minimum and maximum temperature that this orchid experiences?
Is there any day-night temperature difference? The reason why I ask is
that temperature is another environmental factor that is important, and
could contribute toward whether or not an orchid reflowers. I am not sure
whether oncidiums really need a temperature difference between night and
day, since I do not grow oncidiums myself, but the following oncidium care
instruction pages suggests so, I think:
http://www.orchidweb.com/onccare.htm or
http://www.aos.org/aos/uploadedfiles...ecymbidium.pdf

These culture sheets might hopefully give you some ideas of how you could
improve your oncidium's conditions to be closer to its desired conditions.

Best,
Joanna

"Rob" wrote in message
Our orchid looked like an onicdum. We had it in the kitchen on an east
facing window sill - in Scotland. I have a sunlounge facing south do
you advise placing it in there? Any other advice?
Thanks
Mhari

I think I'd stick with the east window. My only advice is 'when in
doubt, don't' - water, that is... Try not to pamper the plant too much,
that kills more orchids than anything else.

p.s. this is the first time I have used a newsgroup - what does AOS/HCC
mean?

Actually it should be HCC/AOS, and it it is a type of award given by the
American Orchid Society to a plant. Divisions or clones of that plant
carry the award designation. If you see a plant with an award (HCC, AM,
or FCC/AOS), you can be reasonably assured that it has high flower
quality, with the quality improving as you move left to right... Since
you are in the UK, you are more likely to see AM/RHS or FCC/RHS awards,
these are given by the Royal Horticultural Society. Same idea, though.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules:
http://littlefrogfarm.com