Old 22-03-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Default Green Algee

Even water without fish will get an algae buiildup but in general you
need a decent supply of nutrients to get a heavy growth of algae.
You did not mention fish at all, and assuming it does have fish,
nutrients can come from whats fed to them, as well as what comes back
out the opposite end, Dust and runoff water can also add nutrients.
If it was like this last year as well and you were not over feeding or
feeding cheap foods or overfertilizing water plants, I would conisder
oxidizing the water with potassium permangante, as early into spring
as possible so the water is cooler and makes things better for the
fish, however if no fish is imvolved then anytime is fine. PP is not
recomended for use when water temp is in the 80 deg or higher range so
treating mid summer etc is usually a no go for most ponds.

YOu can also use some BARACLEAR P80 which is aluminum sulphate (alum)
mixed with sodium bentonite clay into pellets. It is harless to fish.
Its used by lots of golf courses and water authorities in this area to
control algae n the holding resivoirs / lagoons, and ponds etc on the
golf coarse and it does work just fine. The city park here uses it in
their huge 3 acre koi pond at the zoo, as well as two city parks with
koi ponds and the water n them stays nice all year round.
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:34:46 -0000, "ABC"
wrote:
I have a big pond, in cement... the green algee it's a big problem. Just
don't know what else I can do to get rid of it!
I have a good filter with UV, but not enough. I have planted it and all,
but still not enough. I have even covered the pond with a net, so it
wouldn't get so much sun... it didn't work!
Sometimes I see pictures of ponds that are cristal clear.
The only thing I don't have it's rocks at the bottom of the pond!

Help?

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....