Old 22-03-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Default What size pot for tomatoes?

Hi,
Should be ok, place on tray of gravel and water from bottom, you could try
tomato pots which are open at the bottom and place on grow bag giving the
roots the chance of growing deeper into the grow bag, more roots better
plants.
Personally I use two grow bags, with 1 on top of the other and cut the
plastic through to the bottom one. this gives double the food value and
better root system, and less chance of drying out whilst I am at work during
the day, normal day is leave home about 09-30 and arrive back 23-00 or
later, so the plants must look after themselves.

regards
Cineman

"Paul" wrote in message
. Last year, being new to gardening and allotments, we planted directly
into the soil in the greenhouse but have since learned this is *not a good
idea* in the long term. Last years crop was good, but the greenhouse had
remained unused for a couple of years so the soil had rested and was
disease-free. We are planning to grow tomatoes in pots in the greenhouse
this year. Hence the question about pots. I guess about 30cm across by 30cm
deep should do. Too big, too small? OK? .
TIA for any feedback.
--
Paul reply-to is valid