Old 22-03-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Default What size pot for tomatoes?

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
cineman wrote:
[...]
Personally I use two grow bags, with 1 on top of the other and cut the
plastic through to the bottom one. this gives double the food value
and better root system, and less chance of drying out whilst I am at
work during the day, normal day is leave home about 09-30 and arrive
back 23-00 or later, so the plants must look after themselves.

[...]

Have you got a good technique for watering growbags? I've always found
it difficult to maintain constant moisture.

--
Mike.

Hi Mike,
Being away from home for so long does make one a little heath robinson-ish
so to speak.
1/ I have used 2 litre pop bottles with those slow drip spouts attached,
these work ok if temperature not too hot in greenhouse, also put water
crystals in bottom grow bag under the tomato plants.
2/ have just purchased a water timer from Aldi which i shall try this year.
3/ I have used continuous drip feed systems straight from water butt outside
greenhouse, these were most effective, they are merely small bore hose with
drip feeders cut into pipe on stems pushed into compost near toms.
4/ The wife when she came home from work, but they were left from 09-30 till
17-00 but as long as the bags were watered early only the tops would dry out
Incidentally, I have used 32mm or 40mm kitchen waste pipe inserted into
bottom grow bag with elbow facing upwards and watered into that that got
the water straight down to where it was needed.
Hope this helps
regards
Cineman.