Old 23-03-2006, 08:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,uk.rec.gardening
Klara King

Default Lawnmower with mulching attachment

I'm in the process of buying a new lawnmower, and I've seen brochures
for ones with a mulching attachment, which is supposed to work by
shredding the cuttings up small and spreading them back onto the lawn.
This is supposed to feed the lawn as well as disposing of the cuttings.
Has anyone used one of these, and can you tell me if they're any good?

We bought a John Deere mulching mower some years ago at Chelsea, and we
have found it wonderful (I have raved about it before...). Admittedly,
we still have our old mower for those times when the grass is just too
tall or too wet, but the John Deere copes well with just slightly
neglected grass. I was finding the emptying the most tiring part of the
process and am only too happy to be rid of it. But also, this mower has
swivelling front wheels, which means that I can weave in and out of
awkward spots at will and without effort, and hardly ever need to turn
around. We have a birch grouping in the centre of the back lawn, and I
often just spiral outward in ever larger circles, producing an
interesting effect. The wheels can also be locked for straight lines, if
preferred. No roller, but hey - cutting of our two-thirds of an acre of
mostly lawn has shrunk from most of the day to just an hour and a half!

As for lawn quality, we started with a very mossy lawn, which it still
is, probably encouraged by the mulching. But where there is no moss the
lawn looks healthy and well!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin