Old 21-03-2006, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

Dogs are the same way. You can assume certain things about
them. Make a list of 10 possible things an unattended dog
might do, and if 9 of those things are stupid, destructive
or annoying, you can bet a year's pay that the dog will
choose one or more of those 9 things 100% of the time. The
only acceptable thing it might do is sleep. The other 9
include such delights as crapping on the rug, crapping
specifically where innocent people need to walk, barking
until the police arrive, biting someone, chewing furniture,
wrapping their leashes around trees until they're choking
(a good thing, actually, but still stupid), digging in
neighbors' gardens.

i realize your neighbors are idiots & have badly trained
dogs, but not all, or even most, dogs are like that. really.
i'm NOT a dog person, but 99% of problem dogs are stupid
owners... not only that, but most of those problem dogs could
fairly easily be retrained to be good dogs if thier owners
cared.

Well, that's mostly correct. Too many owners have those stupid

extendable
leash things, and let their dogs run 30 feet into other peoples'
property,
which often means "right in the flower beds". I ask them politely to

not
let
their dogs stop in my yard in the future, and they say "Well...I'm

gonna
clean it up". Ummm...no. The dog just ****ed on my flower bed, and

I'm
2
minutes away from wanting to work with my hands in that very spot.

wear gloves, end of problem.

And, even
if they clean up the crap, the scent remains and attracts stray

dogs,
something I've observed for over 25 years. So, the only acceptable
response,
when I tell them to do it elsewhere, is "Yes. OK." But, as I've
mentioned
elsewhere, dogs train humans to do what's convenient

like wearing gardening gloves

rob

You said I should wear gloves. Do you understand that by saying that,

you've
stepped into a logical and legal quagmire, and that a judge would lead

your
around his/her courtroom by the nose until you confessed to being

silly?
Here's what the judge would probably ask you to think about. You notice

some
noise outside your house. You step outside and see someone spray

painting
words on your house in day-glo orange. While your wife's calling the
cops,
you restrain the guy and ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing. He

says
"Wear a blindfold, or stay inside and don't look".

When the police arrive, what would you expect them to do? How would you
expect all of it to proceed, from start to finish? Most important,

which
basic law was broken when the person spray painted your house? Hint:

The
law
is basically the same everywhere in the United States, Canada, and most
of
Europe.

major problem in your analogy, spray painting property (public or

private)
is deemed a crime. A dog ****ing in your garden is not. Not picking up

dog
crap in a public place is punishable by a local body fine. No local body
has
yet figured out how to make a dog owner pick up dog ****.

Far easier for them to insist people who have problems with dog ****

wear
gardening gloves I would imagine.

On the matter of urine Doug, where does your own urine go? Or your pooh?
Do
you dispose of it on your own property or is it pumped to a municipal
waste
treatment facility? What potential harm is your own crap doing to water
ways, local and global? Can I insist you only dump in your own back

yard?

rob

You're making this too complicated. If a homeowner tells you to take your
dog elsewhere, you have no choice but to obey. Otherwise, you've committed
civil trespass. That's illegal, and you can be arrested for it. The person
spray painting your house has committed the same crime, along with one or
two others.

When I walk my dogs I exercise control to ensure they **** in appropriate
places. If the mutt wanders onto someones property I go and retrieve it. I
don't make it a habit Doug of encouraging my mutts to **** in neighbours
gardens. Most all dog owners I know exercise the same approach. I doubt the
police will be too concerned with my walking on to someones property to
retrieve my dog.

As far as where my excrement goes, that's a silly question. I don't do it

in
places where I need to work with my hands. If you think it's cute to let
your dog **** where someone needs to work,

and that is a highly subjective measure Doug, 'where someone needs to work',
and requires a degree of omnipotence. I am not always able to forsee where a
person may want to work when walking my dogs. Clearly I do not expect anyone
to want to work on the tree in the next 5 minutes or a bushy clump of weeds
along the front wall of their section. Whilst efforts are made to ensure
dogs **** in areas that will not cause a problem, on the odd occasion they
**** in someones garden that someone then wants to weed, a philosophical
approach by the gsrdener is by far the best approach. Garden gloves are very
simple things to use.

rob