Old 23-03-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default another newbie Q - where to put my propagator ??

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...
NC wrote:
michael adams wrote:
"NC" wrote in message
news

snip

Where should I now put this ? Should it go into the airing cupboard

(not
sure of exact temperature, but quite warm), a 'normal' cupboard (just
lower than room temp) or by a large window in the kitchen (West

facing,
located in Suffolk, window gets good sunlight) ?
I am tempted to go with the windowsill - is this 'correct' ??

(sorry that this is such a novice question !!)

The seeds will geminate quicker with a bit of warmth aring cupboard-
not all seeds need warmth but toms and basil will benefit from it.

Once
the seeds have germinated the shoots will need as much light as

possible
to produce food through photosynthesis. So put the propagator in the
warm cupboard and leave it in there until any seeds have germinated.
Inspect the compost very closely once a day. Should be no more than a
week. Then bring it out during the day and leave it as close to the
window as possible during the day and put it back in the cupboard at
night. snip

Lovely - thanks for the quick reply.

The other possibility is a spare room window sill, if you have a
radiator underneath the window which you can leave on at a low but
steady heat. I'm told that Basil likes 'bottom heat' (cue Fawlty
Towers jokes!) and this arrangement would suit both plants. The
possible problem with your kitchen window sill might be that there
isn't enough warmth under the plants at night or on the cold days we're
getting now.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

For next year maybe, a good bet might be a cheap heated propagator -
worth looking out for in the DIY sheds and always worth the money
IMO, even without a thermostat they're a quantum leap, and covering
in plenty of bubble wrap overnight.

michael adams