Old 23-03-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default How do I keep my new holly bushes from getting "leggy" at thebottom?

Ima Googler wrote:
Thanks for all the wonderful information!
David, when you say that your Dwarf Burfords are 2ft apart, do you mean
root ball to root ball? (or is it 2 ft from the edge of each plant?)

I mean two-foot centers. That is, the center of each planting hole is
two feet from the center of the adjacent planting hole. Yes, real
close. Remember, these don't grow full size. They are under our
livingroom window. After all, we want to look out the window.

To the left is a more open planting of dwarf Rhaphiolepis indica.
Elsewhere against the front of the house and along one property line are
dwarf Syzygium paniculatum (eugenia). The idea is to avoid overwhelming
a relatively small front yard.

Three individual (not a hedge), full-sized Rhaphiolepis are at the
sidewalk. On the other side of the driveway is a large rosemary (taller
than I am). There are also several trees. But they are either narrow
(Podocarpus) or have no low branches.

For a verbal tour of my garden, check my gardening Web pages.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean