Old 23-03-2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default What's your manure of choice?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message

Sawdust in the chicken coop? I've not personally known anyone who uses
sawdust in the chicken coop, but rather straw. Compost it; when you
cannot identify any straw, it should be cool enough for your garden.

Hereabouts sawdust is used as bedding in commercial chook sheds. When they
clean out the shed the sawdust/chookpoo is called chicken litter.. The
manure is diluted to a degree by the sawdust but it is very strong in
ammonia when fresh. It's excellent for the garden once it has sat for a
while. It is also a good Nitrogen source for your compost which is a quick
way to cool it down without losing the volatiles to the atmosphere, or
allowing the solubles to wash out.

I also brought in a pickup load of chicken manure (aging does *not*
eliminate the stench!!!)

The smell of a chook shed being cleaned out will knock your socks off at
half a mile, at close range it will raise the dead.

David

Must not be keeping it very dry.....

Only wet henhouses stink.
I used shavings in mine and it stayed pretty dry.
Even only cleaning it out twice per year, I never had that kind of
problem!
--
Peace, Om.