Old 23-03-2006, 06:14 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default American Holly and Short Leaf Pine

On 2006-03-23, Mouse wrote:
I've stopped at several nurseries, and none so far have had American
Holly OR Short Leafed Pine.

I really would like a nice-sized holly sapling to plant near a larger
specimen I have on my property, so they will eventually grow to frame
the "gateway" between my yard and my neighbor's yard.

One of my neighbors cut down a BEAUTIFUL old short-leafed pine that was
growing 2 feet from my property line, and I'm about to cry. Another
neighbor has one, but all the seedlings around it are loblolly. I am
determined to have a specimen or two of this once-plentiful type of
pine on my land, as well. Loblolly is nice, but there's too much of
it. I want some variety.

Can you help me locate a source for either of these? They aren't the
flashy plants that most nurseries seem to carry -- just solid,
traditional, native trees -- but I *love* them!

Mouse ___( C-.

Have you tried the forestry service? I doubt if you find it in a
nursery in the triangle area. Your best bet is to find a stand of them
and ask the owner for seedlings.

is a garbage address.