Old 24-03-2006, 01:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Frogs

AngieNews2 wrote:

Me too
Croaking frogs would be music to my ears up here!
I'm just hoping our green frog "Ralphie" has survived the winter in our
pond.
Consider yourself lucky )
Pretty sad state if people are annoyed by such a minor "natural" music!
Wow.

You have to realize, Jan's not talking about "croaking" frogs. She's got
Pacific Tree Frogs. You have a little grey Tree Frog that is probably
similar, but I only ever saw one, and I certainly never had more than a
couple at a time (outside St. Thomas).

Have you ever heard an American Toad trilling? It goes for maybe 5 seconds.
Now, raise that pitch an octave, and maintain it for 30-60 seconds at a
time. It's loud, and potentially annoying. If you get half a dozen of
them outside your window it could drive you crazy. However, Jan's
neighbors are apparently already crazy :-)
--
derek