Old 24-03-2006, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default How often do you water newly planted shrubs?

On 24 Mar 2006 06:55:42 -0800, "Ima Googler"
wrote:

How often should I water my newly planted holly bushes? I suppose we
will be getting a lot of rain since it is springtime, but I've read
that you need to water in addition to the rain to ensure the plant is
getting enough water.

Is a thorough watering once a week enough? Is there a way to check to
see if they are getting enough water? How deep should the soil be
damp?

A newly planted bush, tree, or plant should be watered immediately
after planting, and then watered again the following day (this is not
true for cacti or succulents). The second watering is very
important. I'd say it needs 1" of water weekly until it becomes
established. Rather than check the plant, check your rain gauge.
Protect with a layer of compost or mulch.