Old 24-03-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default where to get slightly unusual veg

"Cat(h)" wrote from the Emerald Isle...
The spring has sprung, and although it is still pretty cold here in
Ireland, I am itching to get started on planting a few veg for the new
season.

As well as being extortionate, most Irish garden centres are pretty
poorly stocked when it comes to veg - I suspect this comes from the
lack of demand. We probably have fewer gardeners here per head of
population than in the UK. You can get a reasonablish variety of seeds
- though pretty much only common stuff like carrots, cabbage, peas,
beans, courgettes etc - thank goodness for Lidl where you can get such
exotica as salsify, kohlrabi, and a good variety of lettuces. But when
it comes to plants, beyond cabbage, tomatoes, and herbs, there is
remarkably little available in the main Irish garden centres.

I want to plant jerusalem artichokes this year, and love experimenting
with slightly unusual veg.

I'm wondering: does anyone posting here have any idea where in Ireland
I might be able to get a better selection? Or what about UK based
nurseries/seed companies who ship across the puddle?

And finally, is it too early to plant peas? I will try and protect
them better this year, as last year I was told here they were probably
all eaten by mice - not one sprouted for me!

Try these, they all say they ship seeds to EEC countries...

http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/vegetables/index.html

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...ON&scn=5&qt=SC

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/?PAGEID=20589

--