Old 24-03-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default where to get slightly unusual veg

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
The spring has sprung, and although it is still pretty cold here in
Ireland, I am itching to get started on planting a few veg for the new
season.

As well as being extortionate, most Irish garden centres are pretty
poorly stocked when it comes to veg - I suspect this comes from the
lack of demand. We probably have fewer gardeners here per head of
population than in the UK. You can get a reasonablish variety of seeds
- though pretty much only common stuff like carrots, cabbage, peas,
beans, courgettes etc - thank goodness for Lidl where you can get such
exotica as salsify, kohlrabi, and a good variety of lettuces. But when
it comes to plants, beyond cabbage, tomatoes, and herbs, there is
remarkably little available in the main Irish garden centres.

I want to plant jerusalem artichokes this year, and love experimenting
with slightly unusual veg.

I bought one jerusalem artichoke from a greengrocer a few years ago it
has
done very well, in fact I cannot eat all that it produces.

That is good to know. No point in me growing more than 2 then :-) I
eat more veg than anyone else I know....

I wonder if the same could not be done for other veg if it is a root
based
thing.

I know it works with garlic, and a friend of mine grew (indoors) a
piece of ginger.

Can you do that with the old sprouted spuds at the bottom of the bag?
Those that would normally end up on the compost heap?

Yes, although if you do put then on the compost heap they will grow there
anyway!

In fact I have to ask a question on that very subject!

Alan

Cat(h)