Old 24-03-2006, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default bamboo as a screen-anyone tried it?

"p.k." wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
I am pretty certain stambamboo supply a lot of the UK stuff that is
sold. The invasive bit really is overdone. In ideal conditions some
varieties may run but it does not happen overnight.
I have several so called invasive species planted about 6 years ago
which have clumped up slightly.
I should be so lucky that they take off with a vengeance and make me
rich. I think Stam or some other big grower refers to the silly
prices that these plants command.

Be VERY careful.

I have a japanese courtyard, in it i planted 1# Golden Bamboo, 1# Black
bamboo - both by repute clump forming.

For about 4/5 years they were very well behaved simply putting up new
growth tight up against the clump.

Then...... do you rember the very hot summer we had about 2/3 years ago.
Suddenly i had shoots appearing at every boundary and in gound feature
(reailway sleeper path) where the bamboo had run under the textile sheet
until hitting an obstructeion then goe up. From a 5m*4m area I took out
more than 30m length of runner as thick as my thumb.

A bit of research on the internet revealed that the golden in particular
is reagrde as a notorious runner in the hotter, southern states of the
USA. The hot summer and heat reaining walls had given it the conditions it
liked and it went for it with a vengance. Fortunately, with a tad of
forsight i had planted the golden close to a buried redundant concrete
foundation between me and the neighbours patio, other wise i would have
had BIG problems.

pk

I do vaguely remember that summer--seems decades ago .
Message understood. I guess you gave them the absolute best growing
conditions by providing a cool moist root run.
Do you know the names of those two varieties? Phyllostachys aurea something?
and Phlyllostachys nigra perhaps.