Old 25-03-2006, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carlock

Default Beans and Onions: Too Close for Comfort?

"simy1" wrote:
Excellent - thanks. But that book is, for example, suggesting to mix
potatoes with cabbages and onions. the former prefer unlimed soil,
and the latter like it well limed. I am probably going to put the
potatoes in their own patch, I see nothing that goes really well with
them.

Perhaps. But upon re-reading it it seems to suggest using aromatic
crops, perhaps as a border crop. Why it suggests potatoes as aromatic
I don't know. Do potatoes produce smelly flowers or leaves?

This is what I'm getting out of the book...

All members of the cabbage family are heavy feeders and like a rich
soil (rich meaning manured). They also crave calcium (lime). Potatoes
on the other hand dislike limed soil. And while the book states that
the fragrance of potatoes (and other aromatic crops) helps, it doesn't
state to plant potatoes next to cabbage. (In fact, it states under the
"Potatoes" section, that potatoes dislike lime). It appears as one of
those overlooked things while she wrote the book (easy enough to do).

That's the way I'm taking it. So perhaps planting potatoes around but
not next to cabbages works well, to keep whatever causes clubroot
from getting to the cabbage.

Great catch! Thanks for pointing that out.

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.