Old 24-03-2006, 09:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

Default To Compost or Not to Compost

In article ,
Derek Broughton wrote:
otoh, I've had success with lilies in pea gravel (and bare root). I'd
agree on the veggie filter though - there's usually too much flow for
them to be happy.

How do you fertilize them bare root? That sounds like a good way to go
for my little barrels.

You don't. I probably wouldn't do that in a little barrel either.
Bare-root planting is for ponds with healthy fish populations. The fish
produce the fertilizer, and the plants get it more easily if they're not in
soil.

State of the art 1904 thinking. Innes would agree with you. But we've
come a long way since then and proper plant nutrition needs much much more
tha fish waste. They will *grow* to be sure, but they will grow much much
better with proper food.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net