Old 24-03-2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Frogs

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
Koi-Lo wrote:
BTW not all of us on this NG are city dwellers. Even out here in the
country most of us do have at least one neighbor in earshot of our ponds.

=====================

Those of us in the UK know the pain of having frog CDs - there was/is a
certain "Crazy Frog" that charted...yuk

I was talking about the green slippery ones. :-)

I still don't see how someone can be held responsible for frogs...OK
you've built a pond that attracts them but they are still out there
somewhere...maybe if you didn't have a pond they'd find their way into a
puddle in a neighbour's garden...or is it a "not in my back yard"
mentality.

It may partly be that - for sure. But what can someone do if the frogs in
your pond do indeed keep them awake night after night? Those who must get
up in the morning to go to a job can't sleep during the day when the frogs
are quiet. Here in the USA you would cited for "creating a nuisance" just
like if you had a backyard full of barking dogs or were feeding 100 stray
cats.

I just don't see how any pond keeper could be deemed
inconsiderate because a wild animal makes a noise - can you be held
responsible if a fox (or any wild dog) makes a noise because maybe you
keep chickens?

If they're creating problems for a neighbor - YES - in many areas. But the
USA is big and laws vary state by state and city by city.

Or that a bird of prey makes a horrendous noise because
they live in your area because there is other wild-life - mice, rats etc.
(OMG just remembered they will be at it again in a few weeks)...

If the birds of prey are after your chickens or pigeons - you can be held
responsible for "creating a nuisance." Again Gill, it depends on where you
live.

Actually having a frog eating bugs must be a plus for any neighbourhood...

I think most people would rather spray with toxic poisons than be kept awake
by frogs. :-(

A dog barking is different...but how do you stop your pet cat fighting?

I hate to say this but usually a neighbor who is being kept awake by
fighting cats buys a 22........ bye bye cats. People here who value their
cats neuter them and keep them indoors.

That keeps people awake as well...in fact the list is endless...but IMO in
terms of anti-social behaviour frogs just don't get on the list....

I agree... as long as they're not under my own bedroom window. ;-)
Fortunately my ponds are in front of the house and behind the house, none
are near by bedroom. My house isn't really close enough to the other homes
to have anyone complain about the frogs.

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952