Old 24-03-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Wildflower plants

"Mike Lyle" wrote
But if the area has grass, you can forget about any massed effects
with most wild flowers. Meadow flowers will establish, and still look
very nice, but the grass will dominate. Among the best competers for
more striking effects I remember ox-eyes, and the little wild
daffodils, too. My bluebells-in-grass experiment hadn't really got
going before I had to move, but they seem to do well in some exposed
grasslands.

There are a few which must never be let in, on pain of much wailing
and gnashing of teeth: I plead guilty to orange hawkweed

Me too, and have a further offence of restharrow to be taken into
consideration m'lud.

Ox-eye daisies certainly do go forth and multiply even in long grass.
I've also had good results with scabious, knapweed and cowslips seeding
themselves around - the latter mainly in the strip of grass kept cut
shorter beside a mown path. They seem to be flourishing
there along with speedwell, bird's foot trefoil and kidney vetch. Meadow
cranesbill, on the other hand, has taken longer to make more new
plants - I think maybe the grass has now thinned out enough after
several harvests.

--
Sue