Old 24-03-2006, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Drier conditions & water restrictions - what to do?

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:18:40 +0000, Stan The Man wrote
(in message ):

Thaks for that, very interesting!

The first thing is to know what a hosepipe restriction actually means.
Although the water companies don't like to make this clear, you can
still legitimately use a hosepipe during a "ban". What you can't do is
water plants directly with it or wash the car. But for the disabled or
infirm who can't carry heavy watering cans, it might be useful to know
that they can place empty containers around the garden, strategically
close to plants which need water, and fill those containers with a hose
- then using a watering can to carry the precious stuff the short
distance to their plants.

Well that's good to know- I do in fact have a degree of disability. It's
about time it came in useful!

I have a couple of questions:

What confuses me is whether the hosepipe ban could ever apply to a hosepipe
that is connected only to a water butt that contains water that I put there
myself, ie that I recycled, or rainwater that I diverted from the roof rather
than allowing it to go straight into the drain. Surely they can't stop me
using a hose (or an underground irrigation system connected by a hose) with
that? They way they say it on the TV makes it sound like you can't use a hose
at all no matter where you obtained the water from, and that can't be quite
right, surely.

The law is an ass ...

Just thought I'd leave that in.

The water
compnaies don't have any powers to impose restrictions on the people
who use 99% of our abstracted water. They can only prohibit the 1% that
goes to an outside tap.

Just to make sure I got this- does this mean that the fact that when using
mains water I always run a hose through the kitchen window and use the
kitchen tap- does this mean the hosepipe ban would not apply to me?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)