Old 24-03-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default Rosebay Willowherb

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:05:30 +0000, edricdegus
wrote:

andrewpreece Wrote:
OK your average gardener regards it as a weed, but I reckon it's
beautiful
and wish to have a stand of the things in my garden. I saved some of
the
seeds from last year, which are of the fluffy airborne variety, but my
standard technique of sticking them 1/4" down in compost in the
greenhouse,
keeping it moist and praying has failed.
No seedlings, and it's been 6 weeks now. Any ideas?

Andy.

Please does anyone know of any garden centre where I can buy
Rosebay/Fireweed seeds from? I live in Manchester and I would love to
grow some in my garden, I have only seen it on railway embankments and
it's far too dangerous to go near there. Any help would be very much
appreciated. Edric

I don't know if you live anywhere in South Manchester but Bramhall
Park has patches of it in the woods. Otherwise try any park that's
not mowed and tidied to death - Boggart Hole Clough? though I've not
been there for 40 years! Or what about The Medlock (Droylsden).

Joan in Ayrshire

remove 'spam' from email to reply