Old 25-03-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default What's your manure of choice?

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message

The smell of a chook shed being cleaned out will knock your socks

off at
half a mile, at close range it will raise the dead.

David

Must not be keeping it very dry.....

Only wet henhouses stink.
I used shavings in mine and it stayed pretty dry.
Even only cleaning it out twice per year, I never had that kind of
problem!
--
Peace, Om.

These are the intensive commercial kind that are roofed and ventilated,
about 100ft long with 1000s of birds, they are in there for about 10-12
weeks on each lot of sawdust. The moisture all comes from the chooks.

David

And very shitty management... ;-)
Pun intended!

Overcrowding sux.

barn laid or free range eggs are better for the hens, much better. I will
not knowingly buy a battery hen laid egg again.

rob

Ditto here.....
But the setup he is talking about above is not for egg layers.

It's for meat birds.
--
Peace, Om.