Old 25-03-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Default Dropping soil pH (Blueberry bush)

"NC" wrote in message ...
Morning all. Bought a blueberry bush yesterday at a local plant fair - I
eat loads of them so thought I'd have a go at growing. Doing some
googling this morning, it appears that they need a low pH soil - some
have even said 4.5 !

I have neutral soil, so I grow blueberries in large plastic pots which cost
only about £4 each from places like Wilkinsons. I use 100% ericaceous
compost from B&Q, and fertilise in spring with ericaceous fertiliser. I
keep the pots well watered in summer (blueberries must be kept always moist)
and I cover the plants with netting when the berries emerge.

This site gives info on how to lower soil acidity:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...rt.htm#general

Good luck.