Old 25-03-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheldon Harper

Default Manure - Any tips?

Dave the exTrailer wrote in
:

On 25 Mar 2006 08:04:50 -0800, "htmark98"
wrote:

A friend has a horse stables and offered my some manure, now is it ok
just to take or will i need to do something to it first?

It will need to be composted down of piled up and left to rot for a
while.
If put onto many plants or shoots it is too strang and will burn and
kill them.

I've never had a problem using it fresh so long as I mixed it
well into soil before application *and* neutralized it (the
urine component is quite acidic) with lime.

I've had very good success applying it fresh before planting,
adding lime, and making sure it had either a good rain or
watering and a day or so to rest before planting.