Old 25-03-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Default Dropping soil pH (Blueberry bush)

As you said blueberries love a pH of 4.5, but they will do fairly well in a
ph of 5.5 to almost 6. Most of the plants you like, will do better in a pH
of about 6 to 6.5. If the pH gets too high (9.5 and above), the only thing
you will be able to raise is weeds. The best way to take a pH test is to
take about 3 samples from your garden area, mix them up together, and have a
laboratory test it for you for a small fee. Our colleges will do it for us
here.

Dwayne (From Kansas)

"NC" wrote in message ...
Morning all. Bought a blueberry bush yesterday at a local plant fair - I
eat loads of them so thought I'd have a go at growing. Doing some googling
this morning, it appears that they need a low pH soil - some have even
said 4.5 ! I am planning on planting it at the back of my veg bed (to
cover up a bit of the fence). How do I go about making sure the soil local
to the blueberry has sufficient acid levels, whilst maintaining a fairly
neutral pH in the rest of the bed ?? If I use an acid fertiliser, will
this not 'leak' into the rest of the veg patch and cause problems ??