Old 26-03-2006, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message

If a property owner tells you not to enter, you have no choice but

comply. Your opinion is of no consequence.

not my point, not the point I was making

if my mutt strayed into someones garden I would go and retrieve him. If
the
home owner was home I would asked their permission. If they asked me to

go
would but would expect them to deal with the matter of mutt on property
and
do so humanely without harm to dog else they would meet my baseball bat.
Ie,
I respect peoples right to protect their property and who comes on to
their
property.

You're in no position to assume ANYTHING about another person's

property.
If this is not true, then, if I want to apply sealer to my driveway
on

nice
warm day, it'll be OK with you if I park my car in YOUR driveway,
blocking
in your cars for the 48 hours it takes for my driveway to be ready

for
use
again. Clearly, I do not expect anyone in your house to want to

drive
anywhere in the next 48 hours.

again, not my point.

Two "not my points" in a row.

see above.

How convenient.

yes, it is convenient. I simply walk onto the property and get dog and

if
owners are home, tell them what I am doing there, what I intend to do

and
check they are ok with that. If they ask me to leave I do so. Very
convenient and simple to do. Much the same I suppose as you would react

if
Jehovahs Witness or Mormon came knocking on your door.

Good. I just wanted to be sure you understood the concept of private
property, the violation of which generates almost as many court

appearances
as do speeding tickets.

Doug, rest assured I understand private property. I also work to develop
relations with neighbours. Walking the mutts and having a yack to the
community is a good way of developing a neighbourhood network. I do not
fixate on it however like say, some of the libertarian nutters who take
private property to an extreme and start moaning about 'all taxation being
theft' etc. Those f wits are so out of touch with reality they need to be
committed. I do however accord peoples home and gardens the same respect I
would expect of others. In my view, neighbourhoods, communities and
societies are based on reciprocal arrangements and the building of social
capital and interdependancies. Slavish adherence to individualism destroys
that. I have found that simple thigs, like giving away summer plums to
neighbours or grapes when in season, creates relationships over time. Things
my grand parents and parents did/do. Something younger generations (mine and
below) seem to have lost a command of in some respects.

rob

rob