Old 25-03-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning

Default barley straw

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote:

I know it releases something as it rots, but does it reach a point when it's
of no further use and should be replaced? How long is its useful life?
thanks

They typically say to put it in well before plants green up and then
change it at mid season. I use it the full season and the need
diminishes as the season progresses and my plants do a better job of
filtering nutrients. Actually, mine was in the pond the full season and
I dried it out and it looks the same as when I put it in. There is no
visible rot. I use real straw, not the processed products. I can't
speak for them.

Regarding dosage, I follow the instructions for the product I use which
are at:

http://www.baleinabag.net/pondtreat.asp
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6