Old 25-03-2006, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ernie mendoza

Default Wooly aphids

Thanks Clifford. I was using Bio Fruit Spray made by Pan Brittanica
Industries (now taken over by Sumitomo) quite effectively but that
product was withdrawn in 2002 because of an EC ban on the chemical it
contained. I tried using methylated spirits applied with a
toothbrush but it was only effective for a couple of weeks and then
had to be done again and again. I've also tried spraying with water
mixed with some liquid detergent and white spirit. While this seems
to wash away the wooly deposits, they reappear after a few days --
even more quickly than after the toothbrush cum methylated spirits
treatment.

On 25 Mar 2006 10:33:06 -0800, "cliff_the_gardener"
wrote:

Ernie,
Wooly aphid is a sod.
Sorry but I think that there are no systemic insecticides available for
fruit available to the amateur grower any more.
They say you can use strong jests of water but the only effective
treatment I can offer is a paintbrush and some methylated spirits. Dip
the brish in the sirit and just scrub the infestation. This is how I do
it and if you are thorough it does last most of the season.
Due to their wooly coats, they are though things for contact sprays,
need a thorough wetting.
Commercially a nicotine spray is used. I do not know of an amateur
spray that is approved.
Sorry
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire