Old 25-03-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Drier conditions & water restrictions - what to do?

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 1:47:56 +0000, Stan The Man wrote
(in message ):

You will always be able to attach a hose to a private water supply -
which is what a water butt is. In fact you will make the water
companies very happy. Is your system gravity fed? How well does it
work? Tell all.

I haven't got the downpipe connected to the butt yet and haven't started
using the butt, so I don't know how well gravity alone would work. Originally
I just assumed it would be enough, now I'm not so sure. However I bought a
"waterbutt pump" (cheaper from diytools.com than from Crocus for the same
item) for the purpose of getting bathwater out of the bath and into the butt,
but realised belatedly from its description that it was primarily intended
for getting water out of the butt and into a hose. This suggests that this
has proved to be necessary on several occasions sufficient for someone to
succesfully market a pump for the purpose. Well I'm prepared. But I think I'm
expecting to need the pump for pushing water through to its ultimate
destination.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)