Old 25-03-2006, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

Default Garden Pond, Frogs, Crows, Magpies

This morning I noticed 3 lots of frogspawn in my pond. Not there
yesterday so it's a sign of Spring at last!

2 magpies turned up and started poking about in my newly turned
vegetable beds. The local resident crows quickly turned up and chased
them off.

As the day went on, a horror story developed. My wife noticed a crow
skulking around near the pond. Then she sees it throwing something
around and pecking at it on the ground. I go out, chase away the crow
and find an adult frog dead on its back, badly pecked and bleeding
from the head. In the afternoon, I was out working in the garden,
under intensive crow surveillance from nearby trees. Came in to make
a cup of coffee and Lord Crow descends back to the pond. In the
course of the 10 minutes or so I was in the house it snatched 2 more
adult frogs out of the pond and injured both. One, bleeding, managed
to make its way back in on its own. I had to pick the other one up and
place it in the water - it did start to swim. I suppose once the lily
pads and duckweed get under way the horrible things won't be able to
see the frogs, assuming there'll be any left, as the crows get up
before we do.

I wouldn't have thought frogs were usual food for crows. Might it be
that the extended cold and dry conditions have meant that normal food
sources have been limited?

I contemplated netting the pond to keep the crows out but realised
this would also keep the frogs in!

Is there any way of saving the frogs for further predation, or do we
just let nature take its course?