Old 26-03-2006, 02:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Drier conditions & water restrictions - what to do?

"JennyC" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:51:23 +0000, GH wrote
(in message .com):

One thing you could do is buy 100% biodegradable soap (liquid) and

save
the water from dishwashing, laundry, shower/bath - that makes a lot

of
water and you save some money on clothes because your colours don't
fade so quickly.

I use the Ecover laundry and dishwashing products, but wonder what

would
be
biodegradable for shower/bath type soap- any suggestions for that?

I buy washing soda in bulk and mix it with baking soda or borax for the
laundry. It costs as little, or less, than cmmercial powders, uses a

shit
load less power to make and distribute and package, breaks down easily

into
basic chemical components AND does as well, IMHO, as commercial powders.
Washing soda by itself works well. I also use it straight in the dish
washer. I don't even bother with "eco-friendly" detergents as they cost

3-4
times the washing soda.
rob

Can your 'mixture' be used for coloured cloths or just for 'whites' ??

I've read that is it caustic - do you need to wear gloves to handle it?
Does this not eat into the material?

Jenny

I have used it for ayear now on everything and it doesn't seem to be any
different for whites or colours.

I don't seperate colours and whites. Also, in my experience, the dyes used
in colours are 'colour fast' and don't bleed in to the water. The only
problem I have evey had with colours is when using bleach, which I don't any
more.

The top line modern powders and detergents are said to contain fabric
whiteners. This may be the case however I have never noticed remarkable
results from detergents in the wash in brightening colours.

Some whites (likes sheets) do go gray over time however this has been the
case with washing soda OR commercial detergents. I guess it is simply the
way I use them, wash them etc. If the sheets are slightly gray I couldn't
care less frankly. They get resued for something else (rags, drop cloths
etc) when they become thread bare, not because of graying. When I am asleep
I am not aware of what colour it is. If I want them to be bright white I can
use nappy wash or hang them on the line for a hweek in bright sunshine (the
best bleaching agent).

If you have white work shirts, dresses etc that have to remain white I guess
you would wash those sperately with commercial powders so switching to
washing soda you would follow the same procedure but without rooting the
environment so much.

People say washing soda is harsh on the hands. In my experience, that is
crap. I handle it regularly and in no way does it burn or irritate my skin.
There is a residue after handling and a quick wash removes that. I don't
bother with gloves. Obviously, don't eat the stuff or get it in your eyes. I
guess I wouldn't rub it in other sensitive areas like my groin either, but
never having tried, I can't vouch for that. If you have very sensitive skin
or want to keep your hands baby bum smooth you may want to wear gloves. As a
point of reference, concrete drys mu hands to the point of needing to use
hand cream for 2 days or more to restore the condition, washing soda I never
have to bother about.

I use about the same amount as recommended for commercial powders, a scoop
full. This can be varied depending on experiemnts and results. I throw it in
the bottom of the washing machine and set it on a cold wash, just like I do
with commercial powders. You can mix it with hot water prior to wash and put
it in the tub when it has water in it. Waste of time however in my opinion.
Really soiled clothes may need to be soaked or spot cleaned with something,
commercial varieties abound, before adding to the wash. However, you need to
do that with commercial powders as well to get the best results.

Washing soda can be mixed with borax or baking soda as well. Keep the borax
away from children as it is poisonous and don't eat it obviously.

Washing soda does absorb water in humid conditions. I keep my mix in an ice
cream container by the washing machine. Over summer it absorbed water
(somehow) and became a slurry. That did not seem to effect its activity and
simply meant I poured a semi liquid mix into the washing machine rather than
a crystal form.

Overall, I have found it to be easy to use, as effective as other washing
powders and with nil side effects. Moreover, it is easier on the environment
both in how it is produced, distributed and sold (if you buy it in bulk) and
softer on water ways when a waste product. Large amounts of sodium carbonate
(which is washing soda), or borax for that matter. in water ways can be
toxic to aquatic life. The amounts used in domestic washing however is so
diluted wheh it reaches the sewers, or septic tank, or even grey water use,
that I don't consider it to be a problem. It breaks down quickly into very
simple chemical compounds, does not leave complex or hard to degrade
chemical compounds, and contains no phosphorous etc which commercial
detergents do which grows aquatic weed.

rob