Old 26-03-2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

"George.com" wrote in message

Good. I just wanted to be sure you understood the concept of private
property, the violation of which generates almost as many court

appearances
as do speeding tickets.

Doug, rest assured I understand private property. I also work to develop
relations with neighbours. Walking the mutts and having a yack to the
community is a good way of developing a neighbourhood network. I do not
fixate on it however like say, some of the libertarian nutters who take
private property to an extreme and start moaning about 'all taxation being
theft' etc. Those f wits are so out of touch with reality they need to be
committed. I do however accord peoples home and gardens the same respect I
would expect of others. In my view, neighbourhoods, communities and
societies are based on reciprocal arrangements and the building of social
capital and interdependancies. Slavish adherence to individualism destroys
that. I have found that simple thigs, like giving away summer plums to
neighbours or grapes when in season, creates relationships over time.
Things
my grand parents and parents did/do. Something younger generations (mine
and
below) seem to have lost a command of in some respects.

rob

rob

Reciprocal arrangements - I like that! Here's one: When dog owners license
their little pets, they should be required to provide a DNA sample from the
dog, and depost $1000.00 into an escrow account which we normal people can
draw on when we need to have our carpets cleaned or replaced because your
beasts crapped on our lawns. Now we're talking personal responsibility!