Old 26-03-2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default To Compost or Not to Compost

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Well, I know people do it, and I guess others haven't had as much trouble
as
I did, but I can't see how dividing anything can be easier than dividing
bare-root lilies :-) Richard's comment that "they will grow much much
better with proper food" definitely applies when you're a commercial
grower
- then you want to fertilize and divide as often as possible. Me, I stick
to bare-root because they do well enough that I have to divide annually.

The year I tried to grow mine bare-root and a few in just pea gravel they
didn't thrive at all. They grew small leaves and there were no flowers. I
went back to using rich topsoil and Jobe's fertilizer spikes. They grow
leaves as large as dinner plates and flower for several months.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952