Old 13-03-2003, 09:44 PM
simy1

Default beginner needs help on preparing the soil

(audrey) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,

Although I'm new to this group, I have been learning a lot from
reading tons of messages concerning how to prepare the soil for
planting. Being a complete novice at gardening as this will be my
first time at planting anything, I'm still confused because some of
the posts contradict each other. I'm hoping that some kind
individuals can clarify some of my confusion?

My situation is that I have clay soil (zone 6/7 Maryland/DC Metro
area), and I know that I need to do some type of soil preparation to
be successful at planting my flowers. According to some of the posts
that I read, they say that one should mix a combination of compost,
manure, fertilizer, peat moss, sand, and dirt into the clay. My
questions a

1. What's the difference between compost and manure? I mean not what
they are made of, I basically know what they are made of ;-) but what
benefits do they provide? Does each provide a different benefit so
that I need both?

Compost is anything composted (rotted). Manure can be a part of
compost. Depending of source of organic material, compost can be more
or less nutrient rich than manure. Even amongst manures you have wide
nutrient swings, from high N/high P (poultry) to lower levels, but
more balanced (ruminants).

2. Some posts say it's better to use compost/manure rather than
fertilizer as the former provides a natural source of nutrients thus
better for the plants, but compost/manure are decomposed waste, don't
they make your garden smell?

Many clay soils have decent nutrient levels, but terrible texture.
Manure or compost will attract the worms that, over time, will give
the soil a proper texture. If you do have good levels, be advised that
leaves beat (hands down) manure or compost when it comes to attracting
earthworms (but they provide little nutrients).

3. Some posts say that peat moss/sand/dirt don't provide any nutrients
and a waste of money, and some say they provide aeration and a must
for clay soil, and some say that compost/manure also provide aeration
for the soil? Which is true?

It is a backbreaking job to double-dig clay. But if you are willing to
wait a couple of years, the worms will do a much better job than you
can possibly do with your blunt tools.

4. Some posts say that good soil preparation takes several months to
several years, does it mean I have to wait that long to plant anything
successfully? We just moved into a new house this past winter, due to
the unusually harsh winter this year, we couldn't do anything before
now. We still have some patches of snow that haven't melt, and it's
mid March If I prep the soil as soon as the snow melts, how long
(or rather how short) should wait before I start planting? I'm kind
of anxious as our yard looks particularly bare.

Go ahead and plant. Go around the neighborhood and ask what works in
this locale. Even a few years dow the road, you will still have a
somewhat heavy soil. Some of the plants will die, but if you don't
start you will never gain the experience.

5. From this long list of different soil amending types (compost,
manure, fertilizer, peat moss, sand, and dirt), what are the essential
but also economical types that I need? And from that essential list,

what ratio of each of the types should I mix in with my clay soil?

None is essential, and peat is expensive. Test the soil. If it is
nutrient poor, I would go with manure, two inches a year for several
years. If it is OK, I would go with leaves, also a few inches a year
for several years. Both manure and leaves will disappear within the
growing season. Leaves will provide a good mulch (helping with weeds
and water).

I'm a complete novice, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank
you very much.

Audrey

If someone tells you you should double-dig or till, do not believe
them. Only earthworms can give a soil a fine, permanent texture. Save
your back for other things, like hauling in the tons of organic
material you need.