Old 27-03-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

Default barley straw

In article ews.net,
Oxymel of Squill wrote:

"Daniel E Preston" wrote in message
.. .
It releases Hydrogen Peroxide thats it. I did away with the straw and
add a large bottle once a month. I am not sure how long the straw is
good for

that's v interesting - what are the proportions? My pond is about 600 (UK)
gallons

The amounnt it releases is miniscule. I experimented for a year adding
h202 direclty. There is no safe dose. Either it has zero effect on algae
or it kills the good bacteria (and in larger doses, everything else).

I've never seen an explantion as to why barly stray works. Floating
plants and proper fertilization make MUCH more sense. And work better.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net