Old 27-03-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default To Compost or Not to Compost

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Koi-Lo wrote:
I add about 2 heaping Tbs. Potassium (for gardens) when I add the floating
plants. That's the ONLY fertilizer I add to the pond water. Koi will
still
nibble the roots to the point where my water hyacinth doesn't thrive.

You're low on iron (+traces).

=========================
That may be but I was unable to find any liquid Iron safe for fish. I
suspected iron might be involved. I do add Ironite to the planted pond
plant's topsoil and they are always nice and green with lots of flowers. I
was hoping it would leach out into the water and some may be leaching -
because in the goldfish ponds they get a foot tall!!! The water lettuce
grows as big around as dinner plates. But in the 2000g koi pond they don't
do well at all. I'm definitely going to get some micronutrients before the
season begins in earnest here. I can't put out the floaters here until late
April so still have time.

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952