Old 27-03-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Default Does Corn Gluten Work?

I don't like to promote a technology I don't have confidence in (corn
gluten) but from what I have read, your test and another that was posted
here is not very valid.

I have read that corn gluten works by promoting the growth of certain fungi
in the soil. These fungi suppress seed germination, but it takes more than
one year to develop a large enough fungus base to be effective. So a one
year test is not useful, and neither is a test in which the soil is dug each
year. Corn gluten is supposed to be effective on lawns when it is applied
for more than one year.

"RFD#1" wrote in message
I too, was interested in this Corn Gluten hype, and to me that is what
it is. Last summer, after I harvested my melons, I took a 42"tiller
behind my tractor and tilled four rows sided by side 100 ft long. I
selected the rows randomly and treated them as follows: Row 1 I used
Treflan(this is what commercial growers use). Row 2 I did nothing,
Row 3, I used Preen(purchased at Walmart), and Row 4 I used Corn
Gluten. The Treflan and Preen rows had nothing germinate except a few
Bull-Nettle(probably from a root not a seed). The row I did nothing
too had several different kinds of grasses and weeds, including Lambs
Quarter, Rag Weed, white clover, Poor Joe and others. The row I used
the Corn Gluten in seemed (maybe) to have a little control of some of
the grasses, with no noticeable effect on the weeds, and not complete
control of the grass as the Treflan and Preen did.

Note: This was just Corn Gluten(not the one that has been processed
and sold as Organic Herbicide)--RFD

On 20 Mar 2006 17:54:34 -0800, wrote:

On 19 Mar 2006 23:50:32 -0800, raycruzer wrote:

You can get a 5 lb. shaker bag of corn gluten for $12.95 which covers

OUCH!!!

It's been about two years since I purchased corn gluten. It was $9.95
per 25lb sack from the feed store. No fancy shaker or anything but a
plain white bag labelled corn gluten. Bulk was significantly cheaper
than that, but MESSY.

Did the corn gluten work?

Patrick