Old 27-03-2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.ponds
Pat

Default bottom cleanup

I live in Oregon near a small rural town called Amity. A few pictures here
http://20d.us/rockpage/ of one of my small ponds. If you look close in the
first and last picture you may spot my drain. It is a short length of pvc
pipe that the pond overflows into. To drain the pond I simply pull the pipe
out of its fitting located at the bottom of the pond. I made the rock using
some chicken wire and mortar. This pond is located beside my patio just
outside my living room. It can be enjoyed from the living room through the
patio doors or it is very pleasant to sit on the patio beside it. My pump
is turned off for the winter however I turned it on briefly to take these
pictures a week ago. To make a bottom drain I stick the pipe through the
liner and put a hose clamp around it.

"Pat" wrote in message
Hi Pat :-) I didn't know you were out there. Hello - Where are you from?
live in NJ. Just getting the pond going this year. Do you have pics? I'll
add my initials to my post. :-)

thanks
Pat B - NJ

"Pat" wrote in message
My name is pat, too.

"Pat" wrote in message
Jan - I didn't write that. I have no idea how that got my name on it.
Weird... I don't have bottom drains. Never heard of them till now, but

won't be
messing with my liner. I will get a fine net to scoop the bottom layer.
Thanks
Pat

You did install bottom drains, or you're asking if you should? A pond
that
has a 12 foot diameter, a bottom drain would sure make things easier.
Check
out my website on how to go over the side using a tetra bell vacuum
bottom
drain, so you can retrofit a pre-existing pond. (Click on My Filter).

For
heavier stuff, that the koi don't get moved down to the location of
the
bottom drain, I use my shop vac. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

"~ janj" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:17:45 -0800, "Pat"

wrote:

How do you all clean up the sediments at the bottom of your ponds.
My pond is about 12 foot diameter and 3 feet deep at the center.
Thanks
I install bottom drains.