Old 27-03-2006, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Default Manure - Any tips?

As far as using fresh manure on veg crops, can I add a word of caution.
One of the advantages of allowing a muck heap to stand is that it
generates heat, which inturn kills any nasty bacteria in the manure.
From experience in the food industry I know that livestock,

irrespective of how the beast was reared (orgainically or intensively)
still can contain E. coil bacteria. Good heat composting kills the
bug.
If fresh manure was applied to the ground prior to planting of a salad
crop, this could lead to a transfer of E. coli bacteria to the crop.
In the US there was a large outbeak several years ago, where such an
inicdent happened, contaminating radishes. This resulted in a change
in guidelines to salad producers here, regarding the application of
manure. I have been searching through my info but I cannot find the
exact guidance, but from memory, I think it was 8 months.
Whilst all reference is to commercial production, it is worthy of
consideration to home grown crops too, I feel, particully when using
salads as a catch crop.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire